Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:39:10 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Jamie Bowden <jamie@itribe.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testimonial

Jamie Bowden writes, w.r.t. non-disclosure of I2O driver code:
 > This is one place where the GPL may do some good.  Once one of those
 > commercial Linux people join and start diddling the source, they are bound
 > by copyleft to distribute it.  Which takes precedence in that case?

Well, since the I2O NDA says "you can't show I2O source code to anyone
who isn't a member of I2O" and copyleft says "if you use this, you have
to give away the source code" you end up with:

	"If you develop copylefted I2O drivers, you can only
	distribute them to I2O members"

This doesn't violate either agreement, but it certainly makes the
drivers nearly worthless.