Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:45:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        dwcjr@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD Ports List <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CUPS support can be unconditional

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Alan Eldridge wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:21:28PM -0500, Joe Clarke wrote:
> >
> >But we do this with a lot of ports in FreeBSD.  Should all the conditional
> >build knobs we taken out, and all ports built with all options enabled?
>
> No, of course not. But I think you'd agree that both Samba and Cups are
> kind of special, being file and print servers. (It's not like "Do I want
> Ogg-Vorbis support?")
>
> >Now, maybe build with CUPS support iff WITH_CUPS && PACKAGE_BUILDING would
>
> s/&&/||/
>
> But - I tend to disagree with ports that build a different way on bento
> than they do by default.
>
> Say I have a nice installed-from-packages working system, with samba
> and cups, I run portupgrade, and it builds me a new samba, with a
> configuration that doesn't match the package I got off my CDROM, and
> *poof* my printing support vanishes without warning. Severe violation
> of POLA.

I think it makes things even more confusing since CUPS printing will not
work with just cups-base.  And, when you compile with CUPS printing, Samba
tries to enable it by default.  Therefore, without cups-lpr, printing will
be broken in CUPS by default if you just include cups-base...and do so
unconditionally.

Joe