Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 19:28:54 -0500
From:      root <tsikora@home.com>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 5.0 features?

"Pedro F. Giffuni" wrote:

> FWIW,
>
> I downloaded the BSDI 4.1 Release notes and I was surprised by the
> quality of the document. It goes through the basics of installing and
> configuring BSDI.
It is nice. I use it in our webhosting servers. Hi-Performance in my
book.

> I think the priority will be getting BSDI binaries running on FreeBSD,
> so I would expect:
>
> -New tools to complement binutils (they also use egcs), no idea if the
> use that nasty ldconfig.
> -Many changes to libc.
> -Native ports of their packaging tools.
> -Ability to mount their disks?
>
> Any idea if BSDI has a unified VM? They carry ISODE and several
> unsupported goodies like LFS, the OSI stack, X25... Their floppy driver
> also supports 2.8 M floppies, which I recall don't work on FreeBSD.
>
> Towards the future I would expect:
> -More SMP stuff (and more threading)
> -New Platforms: SPARC, PowerPC, StrongARM.
> -Clustering: probably MOSIX.
>
> I am not sure if BSDI has a Motif source license, but this is something
> I would prefer to buy from them in a future. In fact, now that there is
> a big company to deal with, I would expect many more commercial products
> available.
Same here. I still prefer Motif.

How about Java support? Sun is releasing some nice tools to OpenSource
like Forge, etc. At one point I found FreeBSD
better suited than Linux for java development but that has
changed with 1.2's release. Too bad we couldn't conjur up some more
interest here. Sun uses it in some cool ways. No reason we couldn't. The
new generation of Java apps are starting to look
and run pretty good.

> I really don't see what can be negative in this merger (in fact that
> discussion is finally dying in -chat so please redirect new arguments
> there :). IMHO, BSDI will probably end up being a FreeBSD with POSIX and
> C2 certifications, and excellent support...I'm sure big companies like
> Yahoo wouldn't care to pay some bucks for the extra support.

Future looks bright indeed! I was so preoccupied listening to everyone
bitching I forgot about all the nice things to come.

--
Ted Sikora
Jtl Development Group