Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:38:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
To:        jlixfeld@idirect.com
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DLINK 21140 Card

Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:07:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jason Lixfeld <jlixfeld@idirect.com>
To: Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>
cc: freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org

Jason Lixfeld <jlixfeld@idirect.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if it will work or not, but I'm going to change it
> to match TULIP_RXDESCS.  That is set to 48.  I'm not sure if it
> will let me, or if it will even run.  If you think not, let me
> know.  If I should change it to 32, should I not change RX to
> 32 from 48 just to keep things symmetrical?!
>
> On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Jim Shankland wrote:
>
> > Try reducing the value of TULIP_TXDESCS from 128 to 32, recompile the
> > driver, and see if that helps; please report back either way.
> >
> > Jim Shankland
> > Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.

The important thing for the purpose of this experiment is to reduce
the size of the tulip_softc structure to < 4 KB.  The number of TXDESCS
and RXDESCS need not be the same.

When the size of the tulip_softc structure is > 4 KB, it is possible to
see failures quite similar to what you are seeing.  On the other hand,
your problem might be entirely unrelated.