Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:55:31 -0700
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "Timothy J. Luoma" <luomat@peak.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pppd + winmodem on Del i7500

> Ok, I've got FreeBSD run my Dell Inspiron 7500.  Now I am trying to get my
> winmodem to work.
>
> I've added the ltmdm driver (Lucent Winmodem) and made the corrections
> necessary so that it is loaded from /modules and not just in rc.d (as was
> recommended to me by someone who is familiar with running FBSD on this
> computer).

OK, whatever. I don't have any need to do that on 4.x. Is this so you
can run 'pppd' at startup? On a laptop?

> I've read Dru Lavigne's article [http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/254].  It
> said that I needed to make a new kernel (MYKERNEL) if the modem was on
> COM3.  According to Windows, mine is on COM3.  It also asks for the IRQ,
> which Windows tells me the IRQ is 9 -- but then again it tells me most
> things are on IRQ 9 so I don't know if that means anything.
>
> So I edited MYKERNEL and removed the 'disable' for 'sio2' and I changed it
> to be irq 9
>
> I did the MYKERNEL stuff and make depend/make/make install/reboot.
>
> When I checked dmesg it said:
>
> sio2: configured irq 9 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>
> It said to replace "#" with my COM port "minus one", so then when I did
> the 'term /dev/cuaa#' I replaced the # with 2, thusly:
>
> term /dev/cuaa2
>
> it said
>
> deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa1
>
> Which seems wrong if I am reading the document correctly it should have
> said:
>
> deflink: Entering terminal mode on /dev/cuaa2
>
> After "Type ~? for help" I tried to enter the ATDT command but absolutely
> nothing happened.
>
> I did this all as root and root and my user are both in the "dialer" group.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated
> TjL

I'm not sure what/why the article is advising what it does.

I also haven't read it, since my 'ltmdm' port worked out-of-the-box over
a year ago as soon as I bolted in an IBM mini-PCI card instead of the
default 3Com junk...

I have the following in my kernel conf, note I don't specify anything
(e.g. irqs or orts) for potentially dynamically-attached serial devices:

	# Serial (COM) ports
	device      sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
	device      sio1
	device      sio2

I seem to recall that this is the way it is so I can use the built-in
serial, built-in (Win)Modem and a "real" serial-based PC-CARD all at the
same time if I feel like it without re-configuring.

I get this on boot:

	sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
	sio0: type 16550A

About 10 lines before that, I have:

	pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x11c1, dev=0x045c) at 11.1 irq 10

Which is the Lucent device being probed by the PCI code (which doesn't
know anything about it). My installation from ports attaches the device
later (via the startup script installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

My kldstat looks like this:

	andy@tureg(/usr/local/etc/rc.d,11:50pm)[186]-> kldstat
	Id Refs Address    Size     Name
	 1   14 0xc0100000 3359e8   kernel
	 2    1 0xc0436000 8cc8     snd_maestro3.ko
	 3    1 0xc043f000 196e0    snd_pcm.ko
	 4    1 0xc2ad0000 7000     linprocfs.ko
	 5    1 0xc2b66000 2000     blank_saver.ko
	 6    3 0xc2b6c000 15000    linux.ko
	 7    1 0xc2bc2000 7d000    ltmdm.ko
	 8    1 0xc2c4d000 2000     rtc.ko
	 9    1 0xc2c56000 9000     vmmon_up.ko
	10    1 0xc2c62000 4000     if_tap.ko
	11    4 0xc33e8000 9000     netgraph.ko
	12    1 0xc33f5000 3000     ng_ether.ko
	13    1 0xc33f8000 4000     ng_bridge.ko
	14    1 0xc33fc000 3000     ng_socket.ko

After boot, I get this from pciconf -vl:

	ltmdm0@pci0:11:1:       class=0x070000 card=0x22058086 chip=0x045c11c1
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    	vendor   = 'Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics)'
    	device   = 'LT WinModem'
    	class    = simple comms
    	subclass = UART

Huh. Used to be that '/dev/cuaaN' was the device to use. Now all my
cuaa* devices are quietly rotting in /dev (since Aug 25th or so), and
the 'ltmdm.sh' script is setting up /dev/cual0 and friends:

    if [ "${HAVEDEVFS}" = "NO" ]; then
      umask 7
      mknod /dev/cual0  c ${MAJOR} 128 uucp:dialer
      mknod /dev/cuail0 c ${MAJOR} 160 uucp:dialer
      mknod /dev/cuall0 c ${MAJOR} 192 uucp:dialer
      umask 77
      mknod /dev/ttyl0  c ${MAJOR} 0  root:wheel
      mknod /dev/ttyil0 c ${MAJOR} 32 root:wheel
      mknod /dev/ttyll0 c ${MAJOR} 64 root:wheel
    fi

Ho hum. Never noticed that before, must edit my ppp.conf for when I
travel next...

Anyway, I get this from a working device:

	andy@tureg(/usr/local/etc/rc.d,11:37pm)[183]-> cu -l /dev/cual0
	Connected.
	at
	OK
	ATI0
	LT V.90 Data+Fax Modem Version 6.00

	OK
	~.

	Disconnected.

Hope this helps, should give you some things to check at least. Good
luck!

Cheers,

AS