Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:20:47 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        "J. Kanowitz" <jkanowitz@snet.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3D with MGA on XFree86 4.3.0 / 5.0-RELEASE?

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 03:38:02PM -0800, J. Kanowitz wrote:

> Keeping this brief, I'm a lazy sod, and it's fairly obvious the 4.3.0
> integration is in flux.
>
> I've got a G200:
> drm0: <Matrox G200 (AGP)> mem
> 0xf7800000-0xf7ffffff,0xf77fc000-0xf77fffff,0xf6000000-0xf6ffffff
> irq 11 at device 0.0 on pci1
>
> On:
> FreeBSD mustelid.gateway.2wire.net 5.0-RELEASE FreeBSD
> 5.0-RELEASE #0: Sat Feb  8 22:13:06 EST 2003
> floid@mustelid.gateway.2wire.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MUSTELID
>  i386
>
> Under previous versions of XFree86 4, I've built
> /usr/ports/x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server with -DWITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER
> and all has been well.  [It was never well without the Matrox code;
> I'm honestly not sure if that's supposed to be the case.]

The "need" for the HAL depends on the card in question.  For the G200,
it is only needed for multi-display support.  I believe it _may_ be
needed for some functionality of the Matrox PowerDesk but I am not sure
about that because I do not use it.

> With 4.3.0, I've not seen the usual reminder about the driver, and
> blindly specifying WITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER (without bothering to pore
> over the build output; see previous comment on 'lazy') doesn't do the
> trick:

No, it is not an option for XFree86-4.3.  Matrox has not made an updated
version available yet.  I am not sure if the current code from Matrox
will build with XFree86-4.3 but that would leave you with an older mga
driver.  I would guess that Matrox will eventually update their driver
but unless you are running multi-displays you probably do not need it.

> (II) Loading sub module "mga_hal"
> (II) LoadModule: "mga_hal"
> (WW) Warning, couldn't open module mga_hal
> (II) UnloadModule: "mga_hal"
> (EE) MGA: Failed to load module "mga_hal" (module does
> not exist, 0)

Try the following in your XF86Config file in the "Device" section:

Option      "NoHal" "true"

That will prevent the server from trying to load the HAL module.

> Annoyingly, this means GL apps lock my system, or more specifically
> for those tracking such things, they manage to mung something that
> kills the keyboard to the point of inoperative num/scroll/caps LEDs,
> while leaving the USB mouse (and the rest of the system) mostly
> operative.

Not sure what is going on here but the HAL module is not necessary to
run GL apps, at least not on my G400.  It could be different on a G200
but I doubt it.  Do you have DRI enabled in XF86Config?  If so, verify
that direct rendering is on.  You can check by running glxinfo and
examining the output.  Near the top of the output is a line that will
tell you if direct rendering is on.  That would be the first step.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net