Date:      Sat, 28 Jul 2001 22:22:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switching cards breaks pccard

Actually I made a later post saying yes I had booted to windows.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0107232318080.86382-100000@pemaquid.safeport.com> doug@safeport.com writes:
> : I have been using a 3Com Megahertz 589E for 2-3 months. Swapping in a 56K
> : modem card (Viking - V.90 K56flex) caused pccard to change the device memory as
> : shown in the diff below.
> :
> : The system is a Dell Inspiron 7500 with 4.3-stable. The change is remembered
> : until the system is powered down. Is there a way to reset without turn off the
> : power??
>
> Did you boot windows in the interrum?  Wanna try my experimental
> patches?  You'll need to tweak your config a little.

Yes I did as I described in a later post. Taking windows out of the mix, FreeBSD
works just fine. I can remove and or switch the cards with suspending which is a
great improvement for me as I would keep forgetting to suspend in 4.2 which
would make the system lock up.

Sure I would love to try your patches

> : Hopefully all this crap goes away in 5.0 right?? (I hope)
>
> Yes.  Hopefully it will go away by 4.4.

Much too harsh a statement on my part. I had forgotten my boot to windows. What
I do remember is you saying at BSDcon how much you were looking forward to
leaving this code behind with the release of 5.0 The code has improved greatly
with each release. The mapping of sio4 to cuaa4 caused me a lot of angst,
happily Robert came to my rescue on that.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com
Voice: 301-469-8766