Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 10:13:21 -0400
From:      "Moti" <moti@flncs.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   question about periodic ...

Hi ,
I'm having a hard time grasping periodic ...( i'm slllllllllllloooooowwww ,
sorry )
i want to run tripwire check as part of my daily periodic.
i created a script called 998.tripwire
premissions ->
[root@Mail2:daily>>ls -la  998.tripwire
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  238 Apr 24 10:10 998.tripwire

---> script itself
[root@Mail2:daily>>cat 998.tripwire
#!/bin/sh
# If there is a global system configuration file, suck it in.
#
if [ -r /etc/defaults/periodic.conf ]
then
    . /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
    source_periodic_confs
fi
echo "checking tripwire:"
 /usr/local/sbin/tripwire -m c

if i run ./998.tripwire it works , but i do not see it in my daily report ,
i tried adding a "touch /var/run/tripwire-run-on-`date" statement just to
see if the script runs and i only get no output but this did not work .
so the questions are :
1.what;s the proper way of adding a script to periodic/daily ?
2.how to make the output go into the email mailed to you ?
i know i can use cron to run these but i really want to run tripwire and
pflogsumm daily and i would love it to be in the same email as my daily
report
thanks
Moti