Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:41:55 -0400
From:      Matthew Story <matthewstory@gmail.com>
To:        Ben Fiedler <bfiedler@asu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status of BSD Diff replacement?

On Apr 21, 2012 4:15 PM, "Ben Fiedler" <bfiedler@asu.edu> wrote:

> http://www.public.asu.edu/~bfiedler/bsdtextproc.tar.gz
>
> Here's a tar.gz of my project file: I did not include the diff/
directory, but instead gabor_diff/ , as that's where the latest changes
are. iirc the original diff/ in my project was taken from the source for
Gabor's 'bsdiff' under the ports tree, but then after a few weeks I
discovered he had made newer changes to the code under perforce, so I based
gabor_diff/ off of that. Sorry if this is all confusing :)

> -Ben

Thanks a lot Ben.

> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 8:30 PM, Matthew Story <matthewstory@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Ben Fiedler <bfiedler@asu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Gabor,
>>>
>>> I made a branch off of your perforce diff code in my work on the diff
tool: From my understanding you started those modifications from OpenBSD's
diff in 2008, so Matthew's assertion that "our incomplete BSD diff is
OpenBSD diff + improvements" is 100% correct. I also ported and started
work on sdiff and diff3 from OpenBSD, but made minimal headway on each.

match GNU grep:  http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2010BenFiedler#diff

>> Awesome, thanks for that link.
>>

>>> Though there's only a few left, they are not trivial by any means.
>>>
>>> -Ben

 The IdeasPage suggests that a goodly amount of work was done on this for
GSoC 2010 (
http://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#BSD-licensed_Text-Processing_Tools), but
the GPLinBase page says it's unowned and suggests replacement with OpenBSD
diff (http://wiki.freebsd.org/GPLinBase).

incomplete BSD diff is OpenBSD diff + improvements.

to catch up on what's been done?

more priorities so lots of features are still missing. Then Ben Fiedler
also worked on it in 2010 but I don't exactly know what he accomplished and
whether he took my code or chose another way. So for someone who wants to
work on it, first it should be checked what's done, maybe merge my version
and Ben's version,

http://p4web.freebsd.org/@md=d&cd=//depot/projects/soc2008/&c=iZC@//depot/projects/soc2008/gabor_textproc/?ac=83

http://p4web.freebsd.org/@md=d&cd=//depot/projects/soc2010/&c=QTP@//depot/projects/soc2010/bsdtextproc/?ac=83

>> it looks like gabor_diff in soc2010 is based off the soc2008 work.
>>
>> Is there anyway either of you could provide me with an archive of the
working tree for these 2 perforce repos?  or make it available in a branch
on svn.freebsd.org?  I'd like to look into this more, but after reading
through the P4Web docs, trying to gain anonymous read-only access through
p4 itself, and then reading:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2007-August/156862.html

>> it seems there's no real way to accommodate this sort of thing at
current.

implement missing features and do lots of testing to ensure compatibility
with GNU diff. And performance tests and improvements if necessary.

>> Since 2008/2010 the OpenBSD change logs referencing diff(1) sdiff(1) and
diff(3) are:

>> 4.9
>> Use scandir(3) instead of getdirentries(2) in diff(1). Call to
getdirentries(2) should be avoided outside of libc
>> 4.8
>> Many diff(1) improvements.
>> Make diff(1) return 2 on error.
>> 4.6
>> Fix file descriptor leaks in sdiff(1) when diffing regular files.
>>
>> I think the many diff(1) improvements is when ray started maintaining
diff (not millert), so perhaps I can ping him as well if I make any headway
on this.

over my incomplete BSD sort code but noone is working on BSD diff so any
contribution is very welcome.