Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 11:40:55 -0400
From:      "Gray, David" <David_W_Gray@tvratings.com>
To:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bootable ISO's

First let me apologize for butting in like this - I get hackers via the
digest, so its tough
to reply to the right people.

I think its useful to note the principle of a bootable CD. You don't really
boot the CD. (No really)
What you are doing is loading an image of a floppy into RAM, the BIOS then
treats this as a
ram disk and boots it. This has some interesting ramifications. Its possible
to boot pretty
much anything that can be put on a floppy - it may even be unable to read
the CDROM itself.
Also, there may be an issue with the size you choose. My laptop doesn't know
about 2.88M
disks, so the later BSD cdroms don't boot for me - I have to use 2 floppies.

For testing, I'd use a real live floppy, then when I like what I get, I'd dd
it into a file
and put that on my CDROM, setting the boot image (and don't forget to set
the boot
catalog name), and burning it. I've used this technique to allow dual
booting on my
NT box at work - just make a DOS 6 floppy, with a cdrom driver, and put the
stuff I wanted
to run on the disk (in this case, loadlin + a linux kernel.)