Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:37:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      rick hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PPP/Modem Problem

	Hello all, I've got a rather strange problem happening now. Last
night I changed my PPP timeout in ppp.conf to 1200 from 600. After that,
I rebooted the system to check some hardware settings, didn't change
anything. Aftewards, it came back up, and I started to telnet out. The
modem now dials the phone number, then makes one loud beep, it then
proceeds to try and connect for about 25 seconds, it fails and tries
again. In fact it tried all night! :) This morning, I've changed the
timeout back, pulled the modem and reseated it. Left the system off for
several hours, checked and rechecked all my hardware settings. Does
anyone have any idea what's going on?

System P90, FreeBSD 2.2.6, Boca 56Flex modem.

						Rick