Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:54:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Interface Architecture

Ron G. Minnich wrote:
> > As someone else mentioned, Van Jacobson has gotten the fast path case
> > down to ~30 instructions for TCP processing on the receive side.  If
> > we could get around all the complex memory management using something like
> > above, it should perform fairly well.
>
> This has been mentioned, starting ca. 1990. Has anyone seen the code?
> nowadays when I bring this up people shrug their shoulders in disbelief.
> Kind of a shame.

	yes, i have seen the code....its referenced from one of
	stevens books, if memory serves.  A.....nailed it!

	thank you dejanews.

Subject:      Re: how to get an old posting...
From:         rstevens@noao.edu (W. Richard Stevens)
Date:         1995/08/05
Newsgroups:   comp.protocols.tcp-ip

[Subscribe to comp.protocols.tcp-ip]
[More Headers]

  Article Segment 1 of 3
  (Get All 3 Segments)
> I am studying about TCP/IP and came across the following reference which
> is an article posted on usenet group comp.protocols.tcp-ip in 1993.
> I am wondering how I can access this posting. Is there an archive
> somewhere from where I can ftp or the only resort is to contact the author?

I've never found a complete archive of this newsgroup--is anyone aware
of such a beast?

> Partridge, C. 1993, "Jaconson on TCP in 30 instructions",
> Message-ID <1993Sept8.213239.28992@sics.se>,
> Usenet, comp.protocols.tcp-ip Newsgroup (Sept).

Here is the article that Craig posted.

        Rich Stevens

	that should give you enough to find it.
the url that i got is:
http://x5.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=107566328.1&CONTEXT=891366636.900530773&hitnum=1

        ld [%i0+4],%l3                  ! load packet tcp header fields
        ld [%i0+8],%l4
        ld [%i0+12],%l2
        ld [%i0+16],%l0

        ld [%i1+72],%o0                 ! compute header checksum
        addcc %l3,%o0,%o3
        addxcc %l4,%o3,%o3
        addxcc %l2,%o3,%o3
        addxcc %l0,%o3,%o3

        sethi %hi(268369920),%o1        ! check if hdr. pred possible
        andn %l2,%o1,%o1
        ld [%i1+60],%o2
        cmp %o1,%o2
        bne L1
        ld [%i1+68],%o0
        cmp %l3,%o0
        bne L1
        addcc %i2,-20,%i2
        bne,a L3
        ld [%i1+36],%o0
          ! packet error or ack processing
L3:
        cmp %l4,%o0
        bne L1
        add %i0,20,%o0
        mov %i2,%o1
        call _in_uiomove,0
        mov %i3,%o2
        cmp %o0,0
        be L6
        add %l3,%i2,%l3
          ! checksum error or user buffer error
L6:
        ld [%i1+96],%o0
        subcc %l3,%o0,%g0
        bneg L7
        st %l3,[%i1+68]
          ! send ack
          br L8
L7:
          ! free pbuf
L8:     ! done with this packet - continue
L1:	! hdr pred. failed - do it the hard way

jmb