Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 2017 20:51:55 -0500
From:      David Belle-Isle <dbelleisle@gmail.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netmap TX with no impact to host

Hi,

I'm trying to open a netmap descriptor to an interface to send packets.
However, I don't want to prevent the host to send and receive data
(transparent). I don't think this should be hard but I can't figure out how
to do this.

I tried to run the bridge example in the FreeBSD distribution but even that
I can't get to run without stopping the host's networking completely. I
tried running ./bridge em0 em0 which, if I understand correctly should open
the NIC and host rings and pass the traffic through. As soon as I start it
all the networking stops.

I tried testing in a VMware VM and on bare-metal with em cards and got the
same results with both.

Can someone help me?

Thanks,

David