Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 00:30:34 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org, committers@FreeBSD.org, dgl@bsdi.com, jim@cdrom.com, papowell@astart.com, wpaul@FreeBSD.org, ceren@magnesium.net, ryan@ryan.net, murray@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: The website

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 12:52:43PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

>    * Other topic for dynamic content: I would like if cvsweb somehow
>      could locate all files relevant to a specific commit, I know this
>      is somewhat difficult but It would be nice anyway.

I've got a prototype for this.  I MD5'd each commit message and then
indexed each commit by MD5 checksum.  It worked wonderfully.  I used
a MySQL database under the bonnet to store the indexes, but they could
be stored in any kind of database.

>    * Other topic for dynamic content: HTML'ed page with the last 24h
>      of commit logs, ie: pointers into cvsweb to see the diffs.

I'd be interested in writing/maintaining the generators for this.

>    * Other topic for dynamic content: A place to keep track of patchsets
>      up for review, test and comment.  Ie: submitter provides patch and
>      comments and a page is created, linked to from the patchindex and
>      it is added to the "new or updated" patches.  submitter can update
>      patch as it develops.  One way would be to define a convention like:
> 	$HOME/review/$patchname/{README,*}

This is a brilliant idea.  At the moment there isn't an official place
within the project for each external patchsets to be advertised.

Joe