Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 08:55:23 +0000
From:      Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
To:        User & <pirat@access.inet.co.th>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange keyboard error

> hi all,

Hi,

> first of all, Happy New Year to you all here.

Happy new year to you too

> a few weeks ago, i had some errors with my ps/2 keyboard.
> it produces a beep signal and sequences of  ^ [ [ I characters that
appears
> and occupy the whole screen.

Sounds like a stuck key.

> i try to use another keyboard with my machine but problem exists.  oh
yes, i am
> still using 2.2.8-stable with that one.

Hmm.  Not a stuck key.  They keyboard controller might have a problem.  You
might want to up it from 2.2.8, because there have been lots of bug-fixes
up to 3.4!  You might have picked up something no-one noticed.  What
motherboard is it?  This might help more, because some 'legacy emulation'
chipsets on new boards are a bit buggy.  The Shift keys dont work on the
ALI board in the web server, so I have to X into it to do anything useful -
buts thats just coffee+keyboard I think.

> i do not know if this is some kind of virus or not

Thats very very unlikely.  FreeBSD hardly suffers from viruses - It just
relays Windows ones around through the mail sub-system :-)

> would anyone here give me some hints?
> any help is appreciated.

No probs.

> rgds,