Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 2002 04:12:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Frode Nordahl <frode@nordahl.net>
Cc:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: acpid implementation?

Frode Nordahl wrote:
> > Why do you need an acpid?
> misc stuff
>
> instruct dhclient to get a new lease on resume (maybe free it on sleep),
> try to configure wlan if no link detected on ethernet etc.
>
> I put my computer to sleep instead of turning it of most of the time,
> and having to run "killall dhclient; dhclient dc0" every time I resume
> it after coming home / go to work is a bit annoying :)
>
> I'm sure people have this and other things they want to configure their
> computer to do on sleep / resume.

Repeat: #1 is power profiles

Also:

o	replacing devices in a multipurpose bay, which may take one
	of a number of devices, including a battery
o	port replicators with devices in them
o	Docking adaptors
o	Forced hibernate and/or shutdown, pending an empty battery
o	Software implementation of features (e.g. selective powerdown
	or operational level, based on idle time, user preferences,
	or other things not settable by "sysctl"

-- Terry