Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:58:24 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        Jason Baker <jbaker@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PhotoCD: ata/acd mount issue, data overrun with lockup

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 10:46 am, Jason Baker wrote:
> Ah, I had the same problem when I tried to create my own multisession
> cd.  What the hell does `-s <non-zero>' do exactly?  Does it mount the
> combined filesystem of that session and all previous ones, or just the
> filesystem on that particular track.  Does freebsd read multisession
> discs at all?

Many multi-session discs are formatted in such a way as to be=20
backwards-compatible with audio CDs: the data track that gets used by def=
ault=20
is the outermost track on the disc (where CD sectors and tracks are both=20
numbered out from the hub).  Audio CDs, by contrast, always start at sect=
or=20
0.  Thus, you can have an 'Enhanced CD', where a 'dumb' CD player plays t=
he=20
audio at sector 0, but a computer reads the outermost track (assuming it'=
s=20
data), which the audio CD player will avoid.
The -s option on mount_cd9660 allows you to control this behavior.  In th=
e=20
case of the PhotoCD above, it sounds like there's an outermost data track=
=20
that's either corrupted, mismarked, or just not ISO-9660 (god forbid).  T=
hus=20
the default behavior (mounting the outermost track) fails.  Using -s 0=20
attempts to mount an ISO-9660 filesystem starting at sector 0 of the disc=
=20
(innermost).  Likewise, using -s 1 would start on sector 1, and so forth=20
(where CD-ROM sectors are 2048 bytes).=20

Unless I'm mistaken, the -s x option doesn't let you mount a specific ses=
sion=20
unless you know its starting sector.  However, I don't know of a good way=
 to=20
determine the starting sector -- is there a good FreeBSD tool for reading=
 the=20
TOC information?

-Cliff L. Biffle