Date:      Mon, 27 Feb 2006 18:19:50 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_base and libreadline.so symlink (was: Re: Matlab)

Am Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:26:20 +0300
schrieb Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>:

> > Unfortunately it does not just ignore the fact it's a FreeBSD binary - it
> > blows up.
>
> > You can try adding a manual symlink - I have libreadline.so.4 from linux_base
> > but not libreadline.so, ie I suggest you do this..
> > cd /compat/linux/usr/lib
> > ln -s libreadline.so.4 libreadline.so
>
> Why didn't linux distribution do this symlink?
> Should our linux_base port do it (as well as for libtermcap.so and
> maybe others)?

The dynamic linker should have references to specific versions of a
library. The symlinks are typically only needed when compiling (more
correctly: linking) a program.

It may be the case that matlab opens the lib via dlopen(3), but I would
expect that other libs are dlopen'ed then too, not only libreadline.

I suggest to ktrace(1) or truss(1) matlab to determine what it tries to
do.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   "One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft promotional ad
         "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer"  -- Adolf Hitler