Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 18:51:06 -0600
From:      Rich Murphey <rich@lamprey.utmb.edu>
To:        paul@netcraft.co.uk
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com.asami@cs.berkeley.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, andreas@knobel.gun.de, graichen@omega.physik.fu-berlin.de, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   XFree86 configuration files (was: pcnfsd..)

|From: Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
|I think it's a build issue rather than a runtime issue. I'd want
|to be able to set something in bsd.ports.mk, which itself would
|probably look in /etc/sysconfig, that specified where local X
|programs lived, e.g. /usr/local/X11. I don't think this is currently
|easy (or at all possible) because of what gets picked up running
|xmkmf.

When building the core X11R6 you can specify a top directory
of the tree other than /usr/X11R6 fairly easily in
xc/config/cf/site.def.  So you could to read a value of
/usr/local/X11 from /etc/sysconfig and use sed to replace it
in xc/config/cf/site.def.

When you're building clients outside the core source tree
using xmkmf this would depend on the sources of the
particular package, but I imagine you would want to edit the
Imakefile to set the paths.

You could also make a copy of imake's configuration files in
/usr/local/X11/... and tell it to use the modified files
using 'xmkmf /usr/local/X11'.  But it'd be conceptually
easier to follow if you just installed the core release
there first.

The flaw in this seems to be that the core release wasn't
intended to be installed in a separate location from all the
non-core clients and other data.

|From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
|Is what I would like is to change XAPPLRESDIR from specifying a
|single directory to being a path (perhaps even rename it to
|XAPPLRESPATH).
|XAPPLRESPATH=~/X11/app-defaults:/usr/local/lib/X11/app-defaults:/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults

Yea, changing the libraries to use a path still seems like a
good idea.  Is there anything in particular besides the
XAPPLRESDIR that needs similar treatment?

Rich