Date:      Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:44:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        grog@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mapping Video BIOS?

In message: <20030727002138.GD45069@wantadilla.lemis.com>
            "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: On Saturday, 26 July 2003 at 11:27:06 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20030726080217.GB45069@wantadilla.lemis.com>
: >             "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org> writes:
: >> machine doesn't have a serial port, so I can't apply a kernel debugger
: >> to find out what's going on.
: >
: > Does it have a firewire port?
:
: Yes.  How can I use that?

If you have a second machine with firewire, then you can use the
firewire port as your console.  Look at /usr/ports/devel/dcons.  It is
one of the under-publicized cool features from Japan (Thanks
Shimokawa-san!).

: I had also expected that you could shed some light on the BIOS mapping
: issue.  Since my last message I've become pretty sure that it must be
: something to do with the chip set setup.  Is it possible that we're
: not mapping the entire area 0xc0000 to 0xfffff?

I'm not sure what you mean by this question.  Since OLDCARD works, and
requires read/write access to that physical memory range, I doubt that
it is unmapped.  It may be the case that we aren't setting things up
so that XFree86 can call the BIOS, but given that we used PCIBIOS
before ACPI, it seems unlikely.

Warner