Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:33:37 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs diff question

Studded wrote:

>         I'm a little confused by something that is happening when I try using
> cvs diff on my checked out tree. I have checked out the sources for
> -Stable using 'cvs co -rRELENG_2_2 src'. All of the "normal" stuff
> works, the RELENG_2_2 tag gets recorded in each directory, etc.
>
>         According to my understanding of the cvs man page, I ought to be able
> to do 'cvs diff -rHEAD' in a given directory and have it show me the
> differences between the -Stable and -Current branches. However, it
> produces no output at all except, "cvs diff: Diffing ."  In some
> directories, if I do 'cvs diff -r RELENG_2_2 -r HEAD' I get the desired
> output, but if I go to some directories (like src/usr.bin/w) even that
> produces no output, however, if I check the log and diff the version I
> have checked out against the head of the branch file by file, I see
> actual differences. Also, if I make changes in the files in one
> directory and run 'cvs diff' I see the changes against the version I
> have checked out.
>
>         So the question is, am I misunderstanding the syntax of the command, or
> otherwise doing something odd or wrong? I feel like I have a pretty good
> grip on cvs, and the fact that some things work in some directories but
> not others lead me to believe that there might be something odd
> happening, but I'm not sure what.

	To follow up, I experimented by checking out some sources using 'cvs co
-rHEAD src/usr.bin/mail' and then tried 'cvs diff -rRELENG_2_2' and all
worked as advertised. This leads me to believe that something odd is
happening with the HEAD tag from the perspective of a checked out
-Stable tree.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!