Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:59:20 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Referendum on the recent Mozilla changes

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 01:25:37PM -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> It has been brought to my attention by that I did a bad thing with
> the recent Mozilla changes.  I realized I didn't give much notice to
> ports@ about this change, and I apologize.  I did clear things with
> portmgr@, though before the change.
>
> My question is this: would it be better to leave things the way they
> are, have www/mozilla track the quarterly stable releases, and have
> www/mozilla-devel track the _latest_ release (e.g. 1.1)?  Or, would it
> be better to do things like the way gcc does it?  For example, create
> a www/mozilla10, www/mozilla11, etc.?
>
> I feel that the -devel model _can_ track the upcoming Mozilla
> releases, while giving users a choice as to which version to run.
> However, since I didn't ask before, I thought I'd solicit some
> feedback before the 4.7 ports freeze.
>
> I don't want to start a flame war or a long meandering thread.  I want
> some honest feedback short and to the point.  Thanks.

I may be missing something but the only reason I see for keeping mozilla
1.0 around is for galeon.  I would hope that at some point in time,
galeon will support the latest stable mozilla (1.1).  I just checked the
mozilla.org Web site and according to the information there, netscape7
is based on mozilla 1.0.1 so apparently mozilla version 1.0.1 exists but
I do not see it on their FTP site.  Does anyone know what the galeon
team will be using?  Will they stay with the 1.0 branch or go to the 1.1
branch?

What I would propose is to put mozilla-devel (1.1) back to mozilla and
call mozilla (1.0) mozilla-10 or something like that.  Again, unless I
am missing something, when (if) galeon works with mozilla 1.1 and later,
mozilla-1.0 could probably go away.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252