Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:20:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        conry <conry@infonie.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About FreeBSD OS ?

On Thu, 4 Mar 1999, conry wrote:

> I would like to know what's the difference between LINUX and FREEBSD ?=20
> Is it the same OS ?
> Why should I choose FREEBSD ?
> All the applications running on LINUX OS can run on FREEBSD ?
> and SCO Applications ?

FreeBSD and Linux have different roots. FreeBSD evolved from BSD UNIX
developed by the Computer Science Research Group of the University of
Berkeley in California from about 1977 to 1994. The creation of Linux
(starting about 1989) was inspired by Minix, a free UNIX clone developed
by Andrew S Tanenbaum as a small UNIX-like OS for educational purposes.

BSD UNIX has had a very strong influence on the whole UNIX world
(including Linux). Thus FreeBSD has many things in common with other UNIX
OS, probably more than Linux has. To my mind Slackware Linux comes most
close to FreeBSD from all the Linux systems.

Many Linux and SCO applications can be run on a FreeBSD system.

Try FreeBSD - it will prove to be a good decision!

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=