Date:      Thu, 17 Sep 1998 12:49:32 -0500
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   whats wrong with this syslog.conf?

Grrrr... are you sure its not monday?
In any case, I've been trying to modify my syslog.conf to give more
organized
logging abilities...  Everything seems to work ok except for the
/var/log/secure...

heres the conf file.  Despite my cut and paste here, there really are tabs
between the lhs and the rhs...
Heck I even copied this off of a working bsdi 3.1 machine that works fine...
still didnt work for me.
the /var/log/secure file has been created and has permissions
-rw-------  1 root  bin        0 Sep 17 11:01 secure

And of course, I have restarted syslogd... boy that would have been a silly
mistake eh?

Also, when I put my syslogd into debug mode, it never says anything about
logging into /var/log/secure...
so what have I missed here?

----- START OF CONF -----
# Everyone gets emergency messages, other than authpriv.
*.emerg;authpriv.none          *
# Root gets messages at warning level or higher, other than authpriv.
*.warning;authpriv.none         root
# The console gets messages at warning level or higher, and authentication
# messages at notice level or higher, other than authpriv.
# Only news.err and above go to the console because INN is noisy
*.warning;auth.notice;authpriv.none;news.err    /dev/console
# Log all kernel messages to the console.
kern.*          /dev/console
# The authpriv log file MUST be restricted access; these messages
# shouldn't go to terminals or publically-readable files.
authpriv.*              /var/log/secure
# Subsystems that log separately.
cron.*                  /var/log/cron
daemon.*                /var/log/daemon.log
ftp.*                   /var/log/ftp.log
lpr.info                /var/log/lpd-errs
mail.*                  /var/log/maillog
mail.crit               /dev/console

# If root is logged in, forward debugging kernel and authentication
# messages.
auth.debug;kern.debug           root

# Save kernel and authentication debugging messages
auth.debug;kern.debug                   /var/log/messages

# The default log file gets all messages at notice level or higher, except
# for authpriv messages or messages that have been specified differently.
*.notice;auth,authpriv,cron,daemon,ftp,kern,lpr,mail,news,uucp.none
/var/log/messages

--- END OF CONF -----

Thanks for the much needed help..

Mike Grommet