Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:28:45 -0500
From:      mike tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RELENG_13 and min cpu frequency

I noticed that when I moved from an old RELENG11 to RELENG13 firewall, I
was starting to get dropped packets.  Looking at when it was happening,
it actually seems to happen at times where the network load is really
low?!?!  When I see a high PPS or high bandwidth, I dont get overruns on
the nic.  Trying to figure out whats going on, it seems to correlate
with when the CPU reduces its frequency to save on power. When its in
turbo mode, it scales up to 4300, but then in the quiet hours, it goes
down to 800 and that seems to be when I start getting the odd overrun.

e.g. printing it out every second, I see

while true
do
/sbin/sysctl -n dev.cpu.0.freq
sleep 1
done

4308
4308
4308
4308
1902
900
900
900
4308
4308
4308
4308
4308

    Whats the best way to set the box NOT to scale down the CPU below a
certain frequency ? I want to see if not letting it drop below 3000
prevents packet overruns when there is a burst of traffic from a time of
things being quiet ?

Setting debug.cpufreq.lowest: to 3000 does not seem to make a difference

dev.cpu.0.cx_method: C1/hlt
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage_counters: 229391593
dev.cpu.0.cx_usage: 100.00% last 87us
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest: C1
dev.cpu.0.cx_supported: C1/1/0
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 3400/-1
dev.cpu.0.freq: 1302
dev.cpu.0.temperature: 43.0C
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.throttle_log: 0
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.tjmax: 100.0C
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.resolution: 1
dev.cpu.0.coretemp.delta: 57
dev.cpu.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.cpu.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=none _UID=0 _CID=none
dev.cpu.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PR00
dev.cpu.0.%driver: cpu
dev.cpu.0.%desc: ACPI CPU

sysctl -A debug.cpufreq