Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:28:49 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS1868 in thinkpad 560e w/pcm

Hi
> > I was under the impression that this ESS was only half-duplex,
> > or am I wrong and do I need to set 2 dma channels?

The ESS 1868 does have full duplex hardware but Luigi's driver
only enables it as a Sound Blaster Pro card without full duplex.

It has 16 bit full duplex hardware (like the MSS system has)
but it is ESS's own implementation and is not MSS compatible.

However, there is an ESS driver submitted by someone else included in
Luigi's tar file on his homepage.

If that supports full duplex, it would be worth modifying Luigi's driver
to support
ESS.

Roger Hardiman