Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 1997 05:37:20 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Andrew Kosyakov <caseq@magrathea.chance.ru>
Cc:        rbezuide@oskar.nanoteq.co.za, jas@flyingfox.COM, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Coredumps and setuids .. interesting..

>for any data stored in 'hash' dbm format. And, certainly, it _helped_
>against *fptd/rlogin/screen vulnerabilities and didn't broke anything

   It breaks performance when you have to zero out every bit of information
you get from a database. People might actually want their .db programs to
run *fast*, and this isn't a way to acheive that.

>> you could still get it to coredump prior to it having a chance to zero
>> everything out).
>Why, it would be unwise of it to close data base before dropping root
>privileges (and in this case it will be impossible at all), and I won't be
>able to send any signal to it unless it drops privileges. The case when it

   A process running with set*id privileges doesn't mean that it can't receive
signals while it has them effective. In fact it can, the only requirement is
that the real uid of the process and the uid of the process sending the
signal be the same, and they will be in either case.

>>    The only "correct" solution is to not allow processes with potentially
>> sensitive data (setuid, setgid) to coredump in the first place.
>You should also remember processes started as root and used set*id() to
>drop privileges, such as ftpd.

   Anything that does a seteuid will have the P_SUGID flag set internally, and
thus coredumps are prevented. If the process starts out as root and doesn't
issue any set*id calls, then the corefile will be owned by root with no
access to anyone...so there isn't a vulnerability in either case.

-DG

David Greenman