Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:03:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        imp@village.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: optical drives

> > dump 0f /dev/rst0 /jaz ; scsiformat /jaz ; fdisk ; disklabel ; newfs /jaz
> > mount /jaz ; restore -rf /dev/rst0
> >
> > fixed it.
>
> Mine refused to read the filesystem (bad blocks in the metadata), but the
> disk was expendable (scratch disk).  However, it would fail a low-level
> SCSI format command, so I was fairly sure it was _toast_.

For what it is worth, I have had significant problems with the
SCSI cable supplied with my external JAZ drive; apparently, they
are building bad cables.

Also, if you are relying on auto-termination, it only functions if
you choose the correct SCSI connector (the top one on the JAZ drive).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.