Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: My Experience With FreeBSD

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, David Johnson wrote:

> Far be it for me to defend Microsoft, but I seriously doubt that they
> actually held a gun to the head to Dell, Packard Bell, IBM, Acer, et al,
> forcing them to ship their products with Windows. It does no good
> calling Microsoft evil when it's the computer manufacturer that sells
> the "take it or leave it" systems.

	Actually, you couldn't have picked a better example. All through
the mid 80's and part way into the 90's microsoft's licensing deal with
the big PC manufacturers said that if you want to ship the windows
operating system on ANY PC you manufacture, you must ship it on ALL of
them, AND the user must pay for a license whether they want windows or
not. The gummint finally put a stop to that one, but it went on for a
loooooong time.

Gun? Head. Nice to meet you.

--
        "The dead cannot be seduced."