Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:57:20 +0100
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aout cookbook

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 11:44:46AM +0100, Konrad Heuer wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> > I don't know if my previous message on this subject
> > made it to the list so once again:
> >
> > I'm experiencing problems with running aout binaries
> > under 3.1-RELEASE.
> >
> > netscape and other important aout binaries don't run
> > anymore on an out of the box system.
> >
> > As much as I appreciate all the work put into
> > the 3.1 release allow me this slight criticism:
> >
> > There must be a painless way to run old aout binaries!
> >
> > I'm getting always:
> >
> > Couldn't open /usr/libexec/ld.so.
> >
> > on those binaries.
>
> Did you install the 2.2-R a.out compatibility package? I did, and I didn't
> get any problems.

ftp'ing again
searching, finding that compat22 isn't on all servers or looks different
(some had a XFree86 subdir in it)
reading /etc/defaults/rc.conf
greping /etc/rc for ldconfig_aout
executing ldconfig -aout ...
finding that libXt.so.6.0 is missing
ftp'ing libXt.so.6.0 from an older machine
re-executing ldconfig -aout <ldconfigpath_aout>

Well, that's what I meant by 'painless'.

:-O

Thanks.