Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2020 01:59:31 -0400
From:      Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>
To:        Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>
Subject:   Re: current best FreeBSD hosting services

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:43 PM Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>
wrote:

> On 30/3/20 6:39 am, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> > My company currently uses RootBSD and we are looking to deactivate our
> two
> > servers there and consolidate them into one.   I decided at the same time
> > to looking into other options.    We are looking for very basic hosting
> > (i.e. we manage the machine [or vm] completely and they only supply the
> > hardware and networking).   Currently we use the servers for cloud
> storage,
> > a few very low traffic web sites (all running on www/tomcat9
> > [java/openjdk8]) and DIY off site backups/cloud storage.    My guess is
> we
> > need 2 cores, 4 GB of RAM and about 80 GB of disk to be safe and want to
> be
> > running 12.1-RELEASE (amd64) on it but have the right to upgrade it
> > ourselves.
> >
> > Suggestions?
> >

> (*** With a caveat that I work for them! ***)
>
> I'm the FreeBSD and NetBSD template maintainer at OrionVM, did a WIP
> talk at AsiaBSDCon 2019 and the FreeBSD stream at Linux.conf.au this
> year about it.
>
> I can get you a demo account to play with and some pricing if you're
> interested. We do VMs with the cores and RAM you want, and you can live
> attach/detach extra disks and networks. Anything within the VM
> (upgrades, packages, etc) are up to you.
>
> Our POPs are in Virgina, Santa Clara, and Australia.
>
> We usually work with MSPs, Telcos, system integrators and such, but your
> CFL stuff on your site looks really interesting.

We where kind of hoping to find someone who would be interested in helping
us further develop PetiteCloud/ThinStorm.  The cloud part of the project
has been on the back burner for the last few years only because like
everyone we have bills to pay and thus had to focused on paid vs. FOSS
work.  Luckily the  paid work utilizes most if not all of the core
components of the API/DB layer of ThinStorm in a HIPAA (US healthcare
privacy regulations that requires end to end encryption) and thus in the
advanced stages of developing (used in limited production) what, as far we
know, is one of the only (if not the only) fully encrypted end-to-end
API/DB (near) general purpose framework (encrypted transit and DB encrypted
all the way down to the physical table level).    For more info on what we
can discuss publicly about this see an interview I did in the Dec. 2016
issue of BSG Mag (
https://bsdmag.org/download/simple-quorum-drive-freebsd-ctl-ha-beast-storage-system/
).

At the IaaS level we are currently working on modernizing the interface to
bhyve so the web (and API) interfaces can spin up windows instances also as
well as move from the adhoc pre-pApi (the API/DB layer of ThinStorm
mentioned above) to use pApi and generalizing the DB backend of pApi to
allow for integration with 3rd party DB's such as MySQL (in a non-encrypted
manner due to the nature of SQL DB's).   Until recently the work was also
hampered by the lack of hardware resources in that the only machine we had
that was compatible with bhyve (lack of POPCNT despite it being advertised
on pre-RyZEN AMD processors... see thread in -virtuation@ for more info)
was being used as our in office production cloud server.   Over the last 6
months we upgraded it and one of our desktops to RyZen 2600X's so we have
24 cores to play with plus the 4 Intel ones we had already.

For the lack of hardware resources mentioned above (and not having enough
justification for colo'ed bare metal) we have done very little work in
making PetiteCloud data center ready and your offer sounds like a good
opportunity to perhaps do that and for us to partner with a hosting
provider so we can do more wide scale testing of the framework when it is
ready for late alpha/early beta testing.