Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 17:16:38 -0100 (GMT)
From:      Remy NONNENMACHER <remy@synx.com>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
Cc:        "Karl M. Joch" <k.joch@kmjeuro.com>, "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: salesman is thinking.....

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Don Wilde wrote:

> Remy NONNENMACHER wrote:
>
> > This may seems a 'back to the roots' call but, sincerely, do you really
> > believe it is time to compete with the W95 like integration of Linux ?
> > Do you think that requesting all GPL products developpers to provide a setup
> > script for FBSD is possible ?
> >
> I think we need to do that as part of porting. Really, most have sample
> scripts, all we need to do is write something that will plug in our new
> server's domain name and IP and  make the script active. That's a little
> thing, but it would add immeasurably to the instant usability of
> FreeBSD. Every consultant wants to look good _quickly_ in a client's
> office, and having the @#$!! thing come up saying "can't find file!" is
> silly.

Look good quickly: that's the point. First feeling is the one that will
decide between going on deeper in the stuff or putting it away. FBSD, for
now, needs you to go deeper before showing you advantages. In this way,
it's harder to compete with a Wxx or a flashing Linux distribution.

> > What FBSD needs, as a server box, is a mind change. Jordan told us what
> > we *ARE* doing. History predicts that we *CAN'T* compete on GUI's. Time
> > to imagine something new.
> >
> I agree. I only suggested setting up a 'port-driven' GUI/Personal
> Station because I thought it would be a quick (read minimum effort)
> answer to the PC wannatryit's we get queries from. I _like_ the CLI,
> although I'm for 18 years a programmer. BSD is driven by pipes and
> shells and text files, to obfuscate that would be to destroy it. What we
> need to do is to make our script tools complete and orthogonal. For
> example, aduser does all you want with adding, but where is rmuser?
> That's what we need to do, find ll those little gotchas.

So let's go with the Tcl/Tk,X-Forms,pure X,Xaw,xxtif,etc... war.
After that let's enter the street-fighting between implementations of the
selected tool then the long-time effort of convinces GPL writters to take
responsability over the FBSD (and i'm affraid FBSD only) setup tool.

Writting GPL'ed software is democracy and freedom. Building a consistent GUI
federating independant software needs (dictature?) and constraints.

Someone feeling OK for becoming the big chief ?

PS: and the same thing about monitoring and log processing. Setting up
is one point. Graphical charts and that kind of stuff have the important
effect of retaining attention of those who never seen that !! so it's a
great marketing point.