Date:      Sat, 19 Nov 2022 16:41:10 +1100
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        mike tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_13 and min cpu frequency

On 19 November 2022 8:28:45 am AEDT, mike tancsa <mike@sentex=2Enet> wrote:

Hi mike,

 > I noticed that when I moved from an old RELENG11 to RELENG13
 > firewall, I=20
 > was starting to get dropped packets=2E
=20
excuse savage pruning; phone =2E=2E=2E

 > e=2Eg=2E printing it out every second, I see
 >=20
 > while true
 > do
 > /sbin/sysctl -n dev=2Ecpu=2E0=2Efreq
 > sleep 1
 > done
 >=20
 > 4308
 > 4308
 > 4308
 > 4308
 > 1902
 > 900
 > 900
 > 900
 > 4308
 > 4308
 > 4308
 > 4308
 > 4308
 >=20
 > =C2=A0=C2=A0 Whats the best way to set the box NOT to scale down the CP=
U below
 > a=20
 > certain frequency ? I want to see if not letting it drop below 3000=20
 > prevents packet overruns when there is a burst of traffic from a time
 > of=20
 > things being quiet ?
 >=20
 > Setting debug=2Ecpufreq=2Elowest: to 3000 does not seem to make a
 > difference

I see below that it's 0 =2E=2E didn't it take, or was that another time?

 > dev=2Ecpu=2E0=2Efreq_levels: 3400/-1
 > dev=2Ecpu=2E0=2Efreq: 1302

So, hmm=2E  powerd reads and sets values in dev=2Ecpu=2E0=2Efreq_levels, h=
ence can't change it to anything but 3400=2E

So how is cpu=2E0=2Efreq changing at all?  Is cpufreq using est(4)?  Are t=
here more freqs in dev=2Eest=2E0=2Efreq_settings?

Or is it using a _relative_ driver like acpi_throttle or p4tcc?  Default /=
boot/device=2Ehints has both of these disabled for good reason (Kevin Oberm=
an can elaborate)

 > sysctl -A debug=2Ecpufreq
 > debug=2Ecpufreq=2Everbose: 0
 > debug=2Ecpufreq=2Elowest: 0
 >=20
 >=20
 > CPU is CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) E-2226G CPU @ 3=2E40GHz
 > (3400=2E00-MHz K8-class CPU)

Also noted that the usual +1 freq for turbo mode isn't there=2E  Strange? =
 (I don't speak Xeon though)

cheers, Ian