Date:      Tue, 8 May 2001 16:43:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        scanner@jurai.net
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for testers: NatSemi DP83821 gigE driver

> Is there a POC we can all send thanks to for supplying the neccessary HW
> and doco? Since they seem to be a more friendly company then Intel it
> would do us well IMO to thank them for it.

Actually, it was my contact at Intel who put me in touch with the right
people at SMC. As for the documentation, National has all the manuals for
their stuff online:

http://www.national.com/ds/DP/DP83820.pdf
http://www.national.com/ds/DP/DP83821.pdf
http://www.national.com/ds/DP/DP83861.pdf

Those are the controller and PHY manuals, respectively. (The 83821 is
actually the same as the 83820, but 32-bit only. I think Addtron is
the only one that uses the 32-bit version.)

Note that the DP83861 PHY seems strikingly similar to the LSI Logic
L80600 PHY. At least, the manuals look a lot alike. Don't ask me why,
I just work here.

That said, Intel also agreed to let D-Link release the LXT1001 manual
to me, so I have that too. Both D-Link and SMC sell cards using both
these chips; SMC got me their cards first, so I'm using them for my
testing.

I sent a confirmation of receipt and thank you note to the SMC
people today. I'm not sure if I should be posting their e-mail addresses
all over the lists though.

-Bill