Date:      Wed, 11 May 2005 18:06:58 +0200
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stefan `Sec` Zehl <sec@42.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/80895: xpdf honors no-copy flag of .pdf file

--=-vVRAGVzoinEsWV0kmHqw

Stefan `Sec` Zehl p=ED=B9e v st 11. 05. 2005 v 17:59 +0200:
> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 15:22 +0000, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> > Synopsis: xpdf honors no-copy flag of .pdf file
> >=20
> > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
> > State-Changed-By: pav
> > State-Changed-When: Wed May 11 15:21:43 GMT 2005
> > State-Changed-Why:=20
> > I'm quite sure authors have reasons to honor this flag. :)
>=20
> So what. The author crippled the program, the FreeBSD port can easily
> make it usable again. Its not a new concept.

No, author haven't crippled the program. Author deliberately chosen to
support the functionality of PDF format.=20

> Read=20
> http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/cracking.html
> and tell me why FreeBSD should honor the copy bit and make it harder for
> users to conpy text they want?

Because authors of the document don't want people to copy the text out
of it? Because that's how xpdf authors want their software to be?

FreeBSD ports are not about bending software to the way single person
see fit, FreeBSD ports are about installing unmodified software as
easily as possible.

If you want, keep the patch locally, but there's just no chance to get
it included in official FreeBSD port.

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

May the Valar protect you on your path under the sky.

--=-vVRAGVzoinEsWV0kmHqw

--=-vVRAGVzoinEsWV0kmHqw--