Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:29:20 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@DeepCore.dk>
To:        nbco@screaming.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No booting - ata1-slave: FAILURE

nbco wrote:
> On Sunday 17 October 2004 00:10, Jochen Gensch wrote:
>=20
>>I just cvsup'd RELENG_5 and the system is not booting any more with
>>the new kernel. It hangs at the ata identifying with the message:
>>
>>ata1-slave: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
>>
>>I am using the GENERIC kernel, the only additional thing in there is
>>atapicam. Maybe I just cvsup'd  at a bad time :-) ?
>=20
>=20
> Hi there,
> I have the same problem.  I have a T41, removing the cd drive will mean=
=20
> that you can boot cleanly.  I suffered from the same problem earlier=20
> this year.  I have had no problem with 5.3-BETA7.

You have no idea how tired I am of the crappy HW IBM uses these days,=20
I'm most happy I dont have one :)

Anyhow we need this fixed again, and I'll look into it when I get some=20
spare time, but its difficult since it depends to a large degree on=20
having IBM HW at hand to test on...

> It appears that this regression was caused by an ata driver commit=20
> before RELENG_5_3 was branched.
>=20
> If you are going to roll sources back, roll them back to 08:00:00 UTC o=
n=20
> 16 Oct 2004, use the branch RELENG_5, but don't use the branch=20
> RELENG_5_3 until this gets sorted out.
> .nbco

Well that commit fixed real problems so just backing it out might be a=20
real bad idea. Anyhow its up for re@ to decide..

--=20

-S=F8ren