Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 1995 08:27:05 -0500
From:      Jim Lowe <james@allmalt.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re:  PAS16 broken when using a 16bit DMA channel

> When configuring a 16bit DMA channel for the PAS (which it should be able to
> use) attempting to send sound down /dev/dsp causes a crash with a trashed
> screen, even without having X running. It goes OK (after a fashion I guess)
> when you use an 8bit channel. I'm following Jim Lowe's instructions for
> setting up a full dupex audio connection (which *almost* works - I think my
> machine is too slow).

I have run a PAS-16 card with a 16bit DMA channel.  I havn't tried it
recently since I have been working with gus & gus-max cards.  Since you
didn't supply a kernel configuration, do you have the following configured?

	controller	snd0
	device		pas0	as isa? port 0x388 irq 10 drq 6 vector pasintr
	device		sb0	at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
	device		opl0	at isa? port 0x388 conflicts # with pas0
	options		EXCLUDE_SBPRO
	options		"SBC_IRQ=5"	# Must match irq on sb0 line.
	#options	PAS_SYMPHONY	# If you have a symphony chip set, pas0.
	#options	BROKEN_BUS_CLOCK# If you have OPTI chips set, pas0.
	deivce		pca0	at isa? PORT IO_TIMER1 tty

This was the configuration I used the last time.  The sb chip on the pas
card can't do 16 bit DMA -- it is the old original chip.

If I get a chance today, I will drop my pas card in my machine and
make sure it works with this configuration.  If you are still having
troubles let me know and maybe I can figure something out for you.

	-Jim