Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 01:26:57 +0100
From:      David Holm <david@realityrift.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   GTK problem after updating system

Hi,
I updated my CURRENT system today, previously I was running on a one week=
 old=20
build.
After I updated I can no longer run xmms, it returns with the following=20
messages:

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library
Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers
** CRITICAL **: Unable to open display

I have searched for a solution and found some pages saying I should set $=
LANG=20
or $LANGUAGE or $LC_LANG but changing these do not help, even if I set on=
e of=20
them to say ISO8859-1 (or even the path to iso8859-1=20
(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1)) I still get the same message=20
complaining about locale C not supported. And yeah, the first message, "l=
ocal=20
not supported by C library" only appears if I set one of the shell variab=
les.=20
Otherwise I only get the 3 lines below it.

I also found one post where a user had recompiled X and got it working so=
 I=20
tried recompiling and reinstalling XFree86-4-Libraries, but it did not he=
lp.

//David Holm