Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 1995 23:55:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Major problem with IDE hard drive and current

Bruce, I saved this message in my mailbox now until I had some time to
get back into debugging this.  Before I get started, though, I was
wondering if over the last month if anything has been done to address
this problem.  I've been hesitant to sup -current ever since the last
attempt failed to see my drives at bootup.

BTW, the Conner drives in my machine are very new (like less than 1
year old).  And using the onboard IDE controller on my motherboard
works fine with them.  The caching IDE controller I'm now using for
some performance advantages is the culprit, I'm sure.  So I don't
think the trouble is with the drives themselves, but in communicating
with them through the caching IDE controller card.

We already determined that the status result on resetting the card is
returning an unexepected bit.  I'll bet other operations are hampered
in the same way, causing the problems I describe below.

--Morgan