Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:33:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   GEOM: orphaning open devices

Hi GEOM hackers,

I have the following scenario: a mirrored setup with two disks and a
filesystem on top of it.  Now, if I yank one disk while the fs is not
mounted, everything works as expected: disk_destroy is called and the
orphaning events make their way up.

However, if the fs is mounted and I yank the disk, I don't see an
orphaning event until the fs is unmounted again, so it seems disk_destroy
is blocked or rather g_wither_geom waits until the device is closed, which
makes it rather useless in a production area.

Is this the intended behaviour?  pjd@ suggested calling g_destroy_provider
before g_wither_geom in g_destroy_disk.

cheers,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                           eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator             Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073