Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 09:52:10 +1100 (EST)
From:      Stanley Hopcroftt <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.Gov.AU>
To:        Michael O Shea <moshea@tronic-group.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, Luca Deri <l.deri@tecsiel.it>
Subject:   Re: ntop 1.3.2 Ok despite incomplete make on FreeBSD 4.1.x

Dear Sir,

I am writing to say thank you for your letter and say that
my remarks only apply to a preview release of ntop-1.3.2 (at
ftp://ftp.ntop.org/pub/local/ntop/snapshots/ntop-src-Oct-26-2000.tar.gz.),
and that

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Michael O Shea wrote:

> Hi there S Hopcroft,
> How did you build this ?
>   I tried  and it keeps breaking on the Configure. Did you set any env
> vars before building ? I can build the one in PORTS no prob but again
> like you it takes 99 % cpu.
> --

ntop was successfully built after

./configure
make

# stand back for lots of noise from make
# turn blind eye to error messages (1)

and then putting the partial make output (ie a complete working ntop
executable in the source directory) to wherever you would like it (eg
/usr/local/sbin).

The ntop included in the ports collection is 1.1. This is not worth
using because it guzzles CPU like it is hoooke on it.

One other writer (Pete Britzy ?) said that 1.1 would take machines
down. Use it at your own risk.

Lastly, I haven't been able to build it with multi-thread support so my
ignorance is probably the cause of all the problems. (I thought
autoconf would pick up the thread support (2))

Thank you,

Yours sincerely,

S Hopcroft

1 ntop-1.3.2 Make messages on 4.1.1-RELEASE

%make
make  all-recursive
Making all in .
Making all in plugins
Making all in .
Making all in pep
make: don't know how to make all. Stop
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/anwsmh/build/ntop-1.3.2/plugins.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/anwsmh/build/ntop-1.3.2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/home/anwsmh/build/ntop-1.3.2.
%

2 Config.log output

%grep -i -2 thread config.log
configure:2989: checking for sys/sched.h
configure:2989: checking for semaphore.h
configure:2989: checking for pthread.h
configure:3031: checking for sys/socket.h
configure:3031: checking for netdb.h
--
configure:3965: checking for inet_aton in -lresolv
configure:4079: checking for initscr in -lncurses