Date:      Mon, 07 May 2001 08:56:01 -0700
From:      Fred Gilham <gilham@csl.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lockups with -Stable on Athlon

> Unfortunately I've started been experiencing a number of complete
> lock-ups when running FreeBSD (X3.3.6 + KDE 2.1.1) - it abruptly
> freezes, I can't even ping the machine.  Nothing in the logfiles
> gives any hints.

Since I upgraded to 4.3 I see the same thing under conditions where
I've been doing heavy lisp development.  The system will be running a
compile and suddenly I'll notice that the compile is taking longer
than normal and then I see that the X clock isn't moving.  The only
situation is a hard reset.  No log information.  Sometimes the system
hangs with one of the disk activity lights on.

The lisp compiler takes up to 100% of the CPU time (as seen in top)
for fairly long periods of time.  It also does disk I/O writing out
the compiled files.

I've got a 700 MHz Athlon on a Soyo motherboard (Fry's special) with
128M of pc133 memory.  The CPU has a big heat sink (one of those
circular kind that looks like a nuclear reactor).  I found that I
could get a stable system by reducing the memory speed to 100 Mhz --
the motherboard allows running the memory at 133 Mhz with the CPU
running at 7 X 100Mhz.  That used to work OK but not any more.

I run XFree 3.3.6 but I just use twm.

At first I thought the problem was heat related.  I have five 4Gb scsi
disks in the case.  I have two fans to suck the air out from the top
where the disks are and the air seems cool but I took the side cover
off my system anyway to see if it would help.  While cooling the CPU
some (it was running around 41C, it went down to about 39C) it didn't
seem to make a difference in the stability of the system.  Only
running the memory slower seemed to help.

Fred Gilham                                        gilham@csl.sri.com
``This is mere entertainment featuring fictional characters. No real
human relationships were shattered in the making of this TV series.''