Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 2014 21:13:34 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Denny Lin <dennylin93@hs.ntnu.edu.tw>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SSH hangs while restarting services

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Denny Lin <dennylin93@hs.ntnu.edu.tw> wrote=
:

> Hi,
>
> Recently I've been trying to restart services remotely using SSH using a
> command instead of entering the shell:
> ssh host "sudo service postgresql restart"
>
> PostgreSQL is able to restart successfully, but SSH just hangs there
> instead of exiting. I've noticed that this seems to affect any command
> which spawns a child process which doesn't exit.
>
> Is there any way to get SSH terminate? Thanks.
>
> --
> Denny Lin

Try "ssh -f host "sudo service postgresql restart". If a socket is open,
ssh will not exist and something in the startup is leaving something link
STDOUT open. Use of '-f'' should work around this issue. From ssh(1):
     -f      Requests ssh to go to background just before command execution=
.
             This is useful if ssh is going to ask for passwords or
             passphrases, but the user wants it in the background.  This
             implies -n.  The recommended way to start X11 programs at a
             remote site is with something like ssh -f host xterm.

             If the ExitOnForwardFailure configuration option is set to
=E2=80=9Cyes=E2=80=9D,
             then a client started with -f will wait for all remote port
for=E2=80=90
             wards to be successfully established before placing itself in
the
             background.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com