Date:      Fri, 01 May 1998 12:45:35 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: NetBSD network code improvements

> <<On Fri, 01 May 1998 12:35:02 -0700, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> said:
>
> > I'm not sure that making it optional would be taking best advantage of
> > it.  If it's a standard performance-enhancing feature, we'd be best off
> > adopting it as such, in line with our out-of-the-box philosophy, no?
>
> The code which will give the best performance on a router is not
> necessarily the code which will give the best performance on a host.
> Ergo, we should optimize for the common case.

Given that there is no "common case", but rather a set of cases
weighted by "commonness", we're talking about a tradeoff, not a black/
white decision.

If the code offers a pessimisation in all but the routing case, sure.
But if it's as simple as switching function vectors based on the ip
forwarding sysctl, the human factor issues should not be neglected.