Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 13:50:54 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        jackv@pacbell.net, jkh@time.cdrom.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, platforms@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: speed test

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> jack velte stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > It's a DEC Durango motherboard with a 500Mhz 21164 CPU.  I bought it
> > > from Aspen systems (www.aspsys.com) and it's currently running
> > > Netbsd-current as a reference platform for the FreeBSD/ALPHA effort
> > > which is slowly getting under way now.
> >
> > i urge a port to Macintosh Power PC.  the next generation rhapsody
> > kernel 3.0 is now based on the MKLinux kernel.  if you can get freebsd
> > working as the kernel under the next version of MacOS (the Nextstep
> > derivative), you'll have a huge built-in audience of every installed Mac
> > user.  Nextstep is finally a reason other than graphic arts to own a
> > Mac.  Port FreeBSD and give the Mac people a choice.
>
> Just as soon as Apple release documentation on their pathetic hardware.
>
> Not only is their gear proprietary, it's _slow_.  I'd prefer to run
> FreeBSD on a Multia.

That is *why* you port not to apple hardware but to CHRP. As for slow - I
don't really think the new CHRP machines are at least as quick as the
Pentium II 300, if not quicker. See for example the machines on
the Motorola Computer Group page...

And no, I don't think I would spend my money on 24X SCSI CD-ROMS.

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.