Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:17:27 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.5-STABLE: is this a bug in umount?

Hi,

let's assume the following (done as root):

	mount /dev/sd3c /mnt
	tar cf /mnt/bla.tar some_big_directory

While the tar is running we do the following in another shell:

	umount /mnt

If we see a "Device busy" error we just repeat the umount again and again.
Suddenly the system freezes for about 10 seconds and reboots. During the
bootstrap the following message appears:

	bali daemon.alert savecore: reboot after panic: vinvalbuf: dirty bufs

Now my question is: Is this the expected behaviour from umount? If you ask
me why I do such a silly thing, it's because I mount my portable disk drive
with amd. Then I start a timeconsuming job on this drive (in my case a tar
from the network). After the default timeout of 5 minutes the amd unmounts
the fs and the system crashes. I can reproduce this if you tell me.

All that happens on a FreeBSD 2.2.5-STABLE system.

Is this a bug (so I will send in a PR) or a feature?

Thanks,

	-Andre