Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 11:12:59 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Dominic Baines <dombaines@mmbq.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: abit bp6 hpt66 udma support

On Wednesday, 30 August 2000 at 11:46:17 +0100, Dominic Baines wrote:
> Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>>
>> On Tuesday, 29 August 2000 at 15:39:49 +0000, Dominic Baines wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to install 4.0 (came with Greg Lehey's book The
>>> complete FreeBSD) onto the ABit BP6 MB with HPT66 UDMA ?
>>>
>>> I have the following configuration:
>>>
>>> Dual Celeron 466 (mendocino)
>>> 3x128MB SDRAM 100Mhz
>>> 4 IBM 20GB UDMA HDD (On IDE3 and IDE4)
>>> 2 24xCDROM on IDE1
>>> 1 LS120 on IDE2
>>> 1 Zip on IDE2
>>
>> Yes.  I have almost exactly this configuration.
>>
>>> I can't seem to find how to get the IDE3 (first UDMA66 hard drive)
>>> to be recognised for install.
>>
>> I suspect that the GENERIC kernel doesn't recognize the other two IDE
>> controllers.  You'll have to build one that does.  I'd suggest:
>>
>> 1.  Move the disk on ata3 (IDE4) to ata0 (IDE1).
>> 2.  Install FreeBSD there.
>> 3.  Build a kernel which knows the other two controllers.  Add the
>>     following lines to the configuration file:
>>
>>     device      ata2
>>     device      ata3
>>
>> 4.  Boot the new kernel.  It should recognize the new disks.
>> 5.  Configure ad4 (on ata2).  Copy the installed system to it.
>> 6.  Move the disk from ata0 to ata3.
>>
>> I'll see if we can't get the GENERIC kernel fixed so that you don't
>> need to do this.
>
> Unfortunately, cannot get it to recognise the disks...:-(
>
> On reboot is says :
>
> atapci1 :  <Highpoint ...etc....
> ata2: at 0xd800 on atapci1
> ata3: at 0xe000 on atapci1
>
> So the controller is seen :-) , but then it was anyway with the GENERIC
> kernel.

Yes, one of the developers pointed out that we already have a

  device   ata

in the GENERIC kernel, and that it should recognize any controllers as
a result.  Sorry for sending you in the wrong direction.

> ata2-master : ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata2-master : identify failed
> ata3-master : ata_command: timeout waiting for intr
> ata3-master : identify failed
>
> so that hard drives are not recognised.
>
> They are FUJITSU (not IBM) MPF3204AT
>
> The 4 HDD's I have (only want 4 on the UDMA controllers) are all
> identical on this system (IBM's are in second Linux server) and
> every one is recognised if I place on ata0-slave channel.
>
> The cables ARE <18cm UDMA 66 cables.  The system boots and
> recognises all the HDD fine in MSDOS, NT and RedHat 6.2 Linux.

This is beginning to look like a compatibility problem of some kind.
Can you try the drives in the same slots, but with normal disk cables?
That will force the controller to restrict them to UDMA 33.

> I see the same behaviour on the ABIT BE6-II M/B (Single slot 1) with
> the same controllers.

And the same disks?

Greg