Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 21:14:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        daren@sefcik.cc (Daren R. Sefcik)
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: low level format--how??

Daren R. Sefcik wrote...
> Thanks..I ended up just pulling my old Atari out of the closet and doing
> the format on it...that seemed to work and I am now up and running. I
> would still like to know how to do it under FreeBSD.

First off, someone (can't tell who, because the attributions were deleted)
doesn't have the pass driver in their kernel.

You won't be able to use camcontrol for most things without it.

Second, someone hasn't read the camcontrol man page.  The -f option to the
defects command is to specify the defect list format.

To format a disk, you would do something like this:

camcontrol cmd -n da -u 0 -t 3600 -v -c "4 0 0 0 0 0"

The -t argument sets the timeout in seconds, you may need more time,
depending on what kind of drive you have.

> On Sat, 6 Feb 1999, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > You will get more mileage by discussing this type of thing on
> > freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org

> > > rover# camcontrol defects -f da0
> > > camcontrol: cam_lookup_pass: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
> > > cam_lookup_pass: No such file or directory
> > > cam_lookup_pass: either the pass driver isn't in your kernel
> > > cam_lookup_pass: or da0 doesn't exist
> > > rover# camcontrol defects -f /dev/da0
> > > camcontrol: cam_lookup_pass: CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed
> > > cam_lookup_pass: No such file or directory
> > > cam_lookup_pass: either the pass driver isn't in your kernel
> > > cam_lookup_pass: or da0 doesn't exist
> > > rover#
> >
> > --
> > -- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)