Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 07:25:49 -0700
From:      Ryan.Gamo@sce.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inquiry about BSD

The answer is in any UNIX history book. Or many of the prefaces to UNIX
reference books. System V was a long time ago and is the model for most of
your modern *NIX/*NUX OS's. There isn't a whole lot of difference on the
outside. 'ls' will always list files. 'cd' will always change directories.
'vi' will always open up an editor session. The kernels are the major
internal difference between BSD, Linux, Solaris, AIX, etc. And some of the
included packages are really different, especially with Linux. Linux also
has it's own subset of binaries(commands), which can be installed on BSD.
There are also differences in system admin type stuff. But if you learn the
concepts, you've got it. There's always man pages and books out there
(let's not forget this list is also a resource).

Interfaces are pretty much possible with anything. We've got multiple
systems interfacing with NT, Solaris, Mainframes, PCs, etc. If you can code
it (or steal someone else's), you can do it!

What do you mean by "compatible"? They'll interface, exchange data, and
stuff. There are some additional binaries in both. Trial and error (and
reference manual).

                               Ryan M. Gamo
                      IT Application Services - TDBU
                 Phone: (626)308-6696 * Fax: (626)308-6390
                      Pager: (888)586-7992 PIN 318489
                             "KNOW YOUR ROLE"

                    "Roland N. Gayatin"
                    <rolandnoel@earthlink.net        To:     <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
                    >                                cc:
                    Sent by:                         Subject:     Inquiry about BSD
                    owner-freebsd-questions@F
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    05/18/2000 07:07 AM

Hello! I would like to inquire about BSD and how it relates to UNIX SVR4. I
will be taking a class in UNIX and the book I'm using assumes I'm running a
PC with a UNIX SVR4 generic. Please help me, since I am a "newbie"! I
really want to learn about other operating systems. I was hoping that BSD
would be suitable and meet the requirements of my book. Is it compatible
with Solaris? Is it the same as Solaris? Please help me.

Thank you very much!

Roland N. Gayatin