Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:53:04 -0500
From:      Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
To:        bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Laine Stump <laine@v-one.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing the vnc package

Bruce,
  thanks for the response - my comments are below.

Brian

At 08:12 AM 3/18/99 -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>If memory serves me right, Brian Adkins wrote:
>> I get the following errors when I try to run the vncserver:
>>
>> ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
>> ELF interpreter /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
>
>You're going to have to give some more information here.  What version of
>FreeBSD are you running?  Where did you get the vnc package (e.g. CD-ROMs,
>downloaded)?

I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.7 and I got the vnc package from ftp.freebsd.org.

>> I've started the linux LKM:
>>
>> --- snip ---
>> $ modstat
>> Type     Id Off Loadaddr Size Info     Rev Module Name
>> EXEC      0   4 f43fb000 0020 f4402010   1 linux_mod
>> --- snip ---
>>
>> I've also installed the linux-lib-2.4.tgz package.
>
>These steps are unnecessary.  vnc has always built natively on FreeBSD, and
>does not require Linux emulation.  ("LKM"?  Are you running FreeBSD 2.2.X
>perhaps?)

Yep, FreeBSD 2.2.7

>> I've looked in the handbook and other places, but I haven't found anything
>> about ld-elf.so.1
>>
>> If someone could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
>>
>> I'm also a little confused as to why the vnc package is run as an ELF
>> executable.
>
>On FreeBSD 3.0 and newer, vncserver, vncviewer, et al. are ELF executables
>because that is what the compiler chain outputs.  :-)
>
>I'd be really interested to hear your answers to my first two questions
above.
> I suspect that what's happened is that you're running FreeBSD 2.2.X, and you
>tried to grab a vnc package that was built for FreeBSD 3.0 or newer.  The
>error messages you got, in this case, would be because 2.2.X only understands
>ELF executablees in the context of Linux (other OSs too?) emulation.

I think you're right about the package/OS version mismatch.  When I saw the
ELF error messages, I looked in my "The Complete FreeBSD" book about ELF
and got the impression that I needed the linux LKM etc. and went down that
path.

>As far as I know, the vnc port still compiles fine under 2.2.X, so if you
need
>vnc under an older FreeBSD, your best bet is probably to build the port
>instead of just doing a pkg_add with the pre-compiled package.

My first attempt was to do as you said on the vnc site:

--- snip ---
Bruce Mah < bmah@ca.sandia.gov > adds:
                  vnc is now a part of the FreeBSD ports collection...on
FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE or newer with an installed
                  ports collection, the installation process is simply:
                    cd /usr/ports/net/vnc
                    make install
--- snip ---

but the make had trouble finding a vnc-3.3.2_unixsrc.tgz, so I went to
download one manually, but could only find a  vnc-3.3.2r3_unixsrc.tgz.

Do you know if the FreeBSD 2.2.7 /usr/ports/net/vnc will build with the r3
version if I tell it to ignore the MD5, or would it be easier to just build
it the old fashioned way?  I'd like to use the r3 version because it fixed
a memory leak and possibly other bugs.

thanks,

Brian